After several hours of research and comparison among around fifty models, we have made our selection of the 6 best hiking shoes of the moment.
Our preference goes to the Salomon X Ultra 3 GTX. These shoes dominate the market thanks to their flawless comfort and versatility. They benefit from a reliable ergonomic design, which allows hikers to travel the most technical trails.
Why trust us
The Selectos editorial team spends thousands of hours researching, analyzing and comparing products in order to find those that offer the best value for money.
None of our articles are sponsored. We sometimes receive a commission when you buy a product through our links, which allows us to finance our work while remaining completely impartial.
How did we choose?
Despite the many technological innovations and increasingly versatile models, the choice of a pair of hiking shoes is often epic.
We have therefore determined the essential points to take into account before purchasing:
- Comfort: the shoes must be perfectly adapted to your morphology in order to offer you good support. Flexibility and support strongly influence this factor. The lighter they are, the less tired you will be. Ideally, the feet should not undergo any friction and for that, we advise you to choose a size larger by ½ size compared to your usual size.
- The sole: in terms of their rigidity note that they generally soften after the first use. The sole ensures grip and stability: it is therefore chosen mainly according to the type of terrain on which you hike. Also check the midsole, for good cushioning.
- Waterproofing: to keep your feet dry in wet or bad weather conditions, you must opt for waterproof shoes. The most efficient models currently have Gore-Tex (or GTX). It should be noted that this technology also means a higher budget. Please note that it is on the seam side that we most often find faults.
- Breathability: few hikers want to find their feet soaked in sweat. It is therefore important to choose shoes designed with breathable materials, especially if you like to hike in summer. Breathable material is inherently difficult to reconcile with waterproofing. It is therefore common that shoes demonstrating optimal ventilation are not waterproof. In return, these are light shoes, often in mesh, which dry very quickly.
- The type of shoes: some can tackle more mountainous and technical paths, while others are dedicated to “simple” walks. Among the four main types, there are approaches (climbing), hiking, trail (more flexible) and mountaineering (for extreme conditions) shoes. Depending on your ankle, you will prefer tall models, which offer more support, or bottoms, which allow more freedom.
- Lacing: the lacing system influences the support of your feet. Hikers appreciate their good behavior. Sometimes they are thinner and can be stored so as not to clutter the top of the shoe.
the most important criteria are comfort, foot support, and solidity. But you must always keep in mind that each walker is unique and each foot too.
READ ALSO:-7 Best shoes for nurses on feet all day 2020
We therefore searched specialized websites and blogs on both the English and French sides to make an initial selection of around fifteen pairs based on these criteria.
The analysis of user feedback then allowed us to determine the 6 best shoes currently available on the market.
The best hiking shoes
Entry-level hiking shoes can offer excellent performance, even if they often lack ergonomics, waterproofness, and breathability.
To avoid disappointments, it is, therefore, preferable to turn to recognized specialists such as Columbia, which stands out within this range.
Best Hiking Shoes For Men:
1 Salomon X Ultra 3 Low GTX Hiking Shoes – Men’s
2 Merrell Men’s Moab 2 Vent Hiking Shoe- Men’s
3 Altra Lone Peak 4.5 Trail-Running Shoes – Men’s
4 La Sportiva TX4 Approach Shoes – Men’s
5 The North Face Ultra 110 GTX Trail-Running Shoes – Men’s
6 Adidas Outdoor Men’s Terrex Swift R2 GTX
Best Hiking Shoes For Women:
1 Salomon X Ultra 3 Low GTX Hiking Shoes – Women’s
2 Merrell Women’s Moab 2 Vent Hiking Shoe
3 Altra Lone Peak 4.5 Trail-Running Shoes – Women’s
4 La Sportiva TX4 Approach Shoes – Women’s
5 The North Face Ultra 110 GTX Trail-Running Shoes – Women’s
6 Adidas Outdoor Women Terrex Swift R2 GTX